Everest Base Camp to Gokyo Lake Trek– 20 days
The journey from Everest Base Camp to Gokyo Lake stands out as an exceptional adventure, weaving through breathtaking landscapes, charming villages, and glacial wonders.
The Trail Begins:
Setting out from the legendary Everest Base Camp, nestled at the foot of the world’s tallest peak, Mount Everest (8848m), the trek to Gokyo Lake promises an unforgettable experience. The adventure begins with a descent from Everest Base Camp through the Khumbu Glacier, leading trekkers through the vibrant Sherpa village of Dingboche, where the warm hospitality and cultural richness of the region can be savored.
As the trail winds its way through rocky paths and rhododendron forests, trekkers are greeted by breathtaking panoramas of Himalayan giants such as Lhotse (8516m), Nuptse (7861m), and Ama Dablam (6812m). The pristine beauty of the region is further accentuated by the turquoise waters of Dudh Koshi River, which accompanies trekkers along their journey.
Gokyo Valley and Its Jewels:
Upon reaching Gokyo Valley, trekkers are rewarded with a truly surreal experience. Gokyo Lake, a series of glacial lakes perched amidst towering peaks, mirrors the sky above and reflects the breathtaking surroundings. The serenity of these lakes, surrounded by Cho Oyu (8188m) and Gokyo Ri (5360m), offers a perfect opportunity for reflection and rejuvenation.
Gokyo Ri Summit:
The ascent to Gokyo Ri, a vantage point that offers one of the most stunning panoramic views in the region, is an absolute highlight of the journey. As the sun’s first rays touch the snow-capped peaks, trekkers are treated to a mesmerizing spectacle that includes Everest itself, along with Makalu (8481m) and countless other peaks. The climb is physically demanding, but the sense of accomplishment and the visual feast awaiting at the summit make every step worthwhile.
Throughout the trek, trekkers have the opportunity to immerse themselves in Sherpa culture, passing through villages like Namche Bazaar and Khumjung. These encounters provide insight into the resilient way of life in the high Himalayas, and trekkers may visit monasteries and stupas that have stood for centuries, showcasing the spiritual heart of the region.
A Complete Experience: The Everest Base Camp to Gokyo Lake trek is a complete package for adventurers seeking a blend of natural beauty, physical challenge, cultural exploration, and a profound sense of accomplishment. The route offers a glimpse into the diverse landscapes that Nepal’s Khumbu region has to offer, from rugged terrains to tranquil lakes, from soaring peaks to charming villages.
Preparation and Considerations: Embarking on this journey requires careful preparation. Acclimatization is key, and trekkers should be equipped with proper gear and guided by experienced professionals to ensure a safe and fulfilling experience. The trekking season typically spans from spring to autumn, with clear skies and comfortable temperatures.
In conclusion, the trek from Everest Base Camp to Gokyo Lake is a remarkable odyssey that encompasses the best of the Himalayas. It’s an opportunity to forge a deep connection with nature, to challenge oneself, and to witness the splendor of Nepal’s mountainous terrain. As trekkers navigate their way from Everest’s iconic base camp to the serene Gokyo Lake, they embark on a journey that leaves an indelible mark on their hearts and memories.
- Majestic view of Mt. Everest and surrounded by lofty Himalayan peaks
- Ascend to Everest Base Camp with our experienced team of guides, crew and porters
- Climb Kala Patthar(5545 m) for unrivaled views of Everest, Lhotse, Nuptse and surrounding peaks
- Cross one of the highest pass Chola pass 95420 m)
- Spectacular view of Gokyo lake
- Acclimatize safely on a well-paced trek
- Experience the wonder of Thyangboche monastery beneath the shadow of Ama Dablam
- Breathtaking mountain flight to Lukla
- Immerse yourself in the Sherpa lifestyle , culture and tradition
You take an early morning flight to Lukla. After a short break trek to Phakding and enter into the home of the Sherpa community perched in the nook and corner of the valleys known as Khumbu. After Phakding the trail gradually climbs to Jorsale and climb the steep but gradual trail to Namche Bazar. Spend two nights in Namche Bazaar. While at Namche Bazar visit the villages at Thame (12,500ft/3811m) and Khumjung. Thame village was the original home of the famous climber Tenzing Norgay who reached the summit of Mt. Everest for the first time in human history with Sir Edmund Hillary. The extra days at Namche allow you to acclimatize in the increasingly thin air as you go up higher. After Namche Bazar, the trail drops down to the Dudh Koshi River. Cross the small hamlet at Punki Thanka and climb the steep trail that becomes gradual as you reach Thayngboche monastery. The trail from Thyangboche to the summer settlement of Dingboche is quite easy. The next day walk down Chukung valley; this is another easy day for acclimatization. Explore the area. There are several high viewpoints to see a panoramic view of the high mountain including the icefall at Amphulapcha. The base camp of Island peak is very close to Chukung village. It is one of the most popular trekking peaks.
There are another two nights at Dingboche (14,100 ft/ 4300 m). This extra day provides sufficient time to acclimatize your body. Lobouje is your second last stop on the way to Kalapattar and the base camp of Mt. Everest. Depending upon weather and your physical condition you stop at Gorakshep for an overnight or go direct to climb Kalapattar to see them close up a stunning view of Mt.Everest. If you are energetic and feel good take time to visit the base camp of Mt. Everest.
The high point in this trek is the majestic view of Mt. Everest and surrounded by lofty Himalayan peaks in the backdrop of deep blue sky. The grandeur of nature that you see would be one of the most memorable in your life. Next in your schedule is to visit Gokyo lake on the other side.
Trek to Gokyo Lake by crossing the high alpine pass at Chola is one of the best challenges in the trek. You cross Cho-la pass (17,777 ft/ 5420 m) and descent steep path to Gokyo Lake. Gokyo Valley has one of the highest settlements in the Himalaya of Nepal. Gokyo Lake itself is a very popular trekking destination. There are series of emerald green lakes along the Ngozumpa Glacier. Take a short hike up to the viewpoint at Gokyo Ri (17,575 ft/ 5357m). The steep climb takes about two hours to reach the summit. Usually, you start early, before dawn, to experience the stunning sunrise view from the summit. The sunrise view of four 26,240 ft/8,000-meter peaks - Mount Everest, Lhotse, Makalu, and Cho Oyu is mind-blowing. On a clear day, the image of the white snow-covered peaks reflected in the aqua blue water of Gokyo Lakes is awesome. Many trekkers find this a very unique experience. Return back to Namchebazar through Phortse and walk down to Jorasale and follow the trail along Dudh Kosi river to Mongo, Phakding and finally reach Lukla to take a flight to Kathmandu.
COST-Private Trip: Net in US dollar from day 1 to 20 as per program
- 3-5 pax US$ 1965 per person
- 6-9 pax US$ 1480 per person
- 10-15pax US$ 1800 per person
- 16+ pax US$1720 per person
- Single room supplement US$250 per person
- All meals (Breakfast, lunch and dinner) and normal standard accommodation in lodges during the trek ( 15 days lodge trek)
- Service of trek guide and Sharpa assistant above 6 persons in a group
- Porters to carry personal baggage (14 kg per person)
- Accident insurance for staffs and porters
- Scheduled Airfare: Kathmandu-Lukla-Kathmandu
- National park entrance permit and trekking permit (TIMS)
- Arrival and departure transfers.
- Sightseeing according to the program
- Hotel accommodation using 3 star category in Kathmandu on BB as per program ( 5 nights double sharing)
- Personal warm clothing, down jacket, boots (walking shoes) and sleeping bag
- Personal accident and health insurance
- Emergency evacuation and medical expense
- Alcoholic and bottled beverage, mineral water, laundry, and tips
- Use of unscheduled flight, helicopter (sharing US$340 per person) and rescue flights
- Medical and emergency rescue and evacuation expenses
- Any other services and expenses that are not specifically mentioned in the program.
- Expenses due to flight delay, sickness other contingencies
- Any other services that are not specifically mentioned in the program
Departure: Anytime as per your choice of date