Inner Dolpa & Shey Gompa trek – 25 days
Trek to Dolpo is an unprecedented adventure to the high, remote and original Bhotia (Tibetan) culture that still need to be discovered.
- A unique insight into 'Old Tibet', Medieval, colorful Dolpa villages.
- Trek through rugged mountain landscape and rich cultural legacy
- Visit the ancient village of Do-Tarap
- Spend an exclusive moment at a very exquisite Shey Phokshindu lake
- You will see Tibetan nomads, cave gompas with exquisite murals, fortresses, palaces and cave hermitages
- Visit Tibetan Buddhist monasteries along the incredible sculpted valleys and wild rock formations
- Enjoy classic scenery of the high Tibetan plateau plateau
Dolpo is unknown until recently though it has been talked about since the journey Snell grove took in 1956 and described in his book "Himalayan Pilgrimage". The region north of the Dhaulagiri range is a forgotten land, isolated from the rest of the country. The area above Do-Tarap is virtually opaque to the outside world. Because of its remoteness and extreme weather it is difficult for outsiders to establish their presence. Dolpo is a hidden valley kept isolated by the huge Himalayan range in the south and, in the north the mountain range of 5000 to 6000 meters high with its many ridges, pass and peaks that stretched to the Tibetan plateau. Trek to Dolpo is an unprecedented adventure to the high, remote and original Bhotia (Tibetan) culture that still need to be discovered. It is a true adventure in extreme land. You get to see spectacular mountain-view, unique and unspoiled Bhotia people in their nomadic condition. Broadly speaking Kanjiroba Himal range defines its western border and in the south is Barbung Khola (river). The enigmatic Shey-gompa lies in inner Dolpo behind the high pass that divides Tarap valley. Dolpo is among the very few places where Bon-po, a pre-Buddhist, religion is in practice.
For years people have wanted to have a look at the monastery at Shey known as Shey-gompa and blue sheep. Shey-gompa is behind the so-called ‘crystal mountain.’ It is not an easy walk to this hidden place. There are several high passes that you have to go through before getting behind Crystal Mountain. This is unexplored land where the trails are not always defined. The trek to Shey demands a lot of energy and patience. And good weather would make this trek memorable.
We fly to Nepalgunj; stay overnight there and the next day fly to Juphal (Dolpo). The scheduled flight to Dolpo departs early in the morning. We walk from Juphal to Dunai, the district headquarter of Dolpo and turn south-east to Tarakot. After Tarakot the trail to Do Tarap follows a narrow valley made by Tarap-Khola (river). Do Tarap have two major gompas-Bon po and Buddhist-and chorten (Buddhist stupa). It is a fairly large village with cultivated land. Most of the inhabitants are Magar, one of the major ethnic groups of Nepal, but their dialect and culture is Tibetan.
From Do Tarap traverse across the rolling hills, cross Jangla to get into the crystal mountain to arrive at Inner Dolpo. Visit different monasteries (gompas) scattered in the region. We spend a week travelling through important villages like Namdom, Saldang , Namjung and finally Shey Gompa itself. For years people have wanted to have a look at the monastery at Shey known as Shey-gompa and blue sheep. Shey gompa is behind the crystal mountain. It is not an easy walk to this hidden place. The trek demands a lot of energy, patience. But you find perfect Shangri La in Inner Dolpa.
After Shey we plan to cross Kang la, a high pass on the western border of Shey to get out of the valley to the other world. Stay overnight at Phoksindhu lake (3620m) to enjoy its serenity and beauty and travel south to Dunai. The trail from the lake follows a regular path to Juphal. The next day early in the morning we fly out to Nepaljung and in the afternoon we connect flight to Kathmandu.
The trek provides an unprecedented adventure. You will discover the original state of the inhabitants. Of course, you will be thrilled to encounter nomads and yak caravans. Unlike other treks, you travel through the uncharted trail. The deep blue sky, snow-covered rolling high mountain and deep river valley and seemingly endless trail continue to dominate the journey. You will be amazed to see the raw beauty of the land and the innocence of the people. You will experience your travel as if you are in a time machine going back in time. There is nothing except you and nature.
This trek involves several days in a high elevation above 4000 to 5000 meter. So, it is important to bring appropriate clothing and shoes. All participants must be physically fit. This trek is physically demanding though mountaineering skill is not necessary. It is important to remember not to endanger the lives of other trek members, Sherpas, and porters by climbing a peak or continuing the trek in unsafe conditions. The schedule stops as shown above are a guideline only. It may change due to logistic reason and other condition like weather, etc. that are beyond our control. Flight to remote mountain airstrip is subject to weather and technical condition. All flights are in the early morning. In winter the thick fog in Kathmandu airport in the morning may delay subsequent flights to and from other destinations. It is important to allow 2 night before and 3 night after the trek in Kathmandu to allow possible flight delay in the mountain. There is no refund for unused service whatsoever be the reason after the trip has begun.
COST-Privat Trip: US$ 4830 per person
- All meals and accommodation in tent during the trek
- Cooking and eating utensils.
- Service of sardar (guide), cook, kitchen and sherpa assistants
- Porters to carry personal baggage (each 15 kg.), food and camping equipment
- Warm clothing, shoes, blankets and dark goggles for high altitude porters as required
- Accident insurance for staffs and porters.
- Domestic Airfare according to programme
- Upper Dolpo Special trek permit
- Nationalpark/conservation entry permit as per programme
- Arrival and departure transfers.
- Local / Public transport as shown in the programme for staffs
- Hotel Accommodation in Kathmandu on on BB, MAP on Nepalgunj
- Personal clothing and sleeping bag (US$ 50 per person)
- Personal accident and health insurance
- Emergency evacuation and oxygen cost, and medical-box
- Alcoholic and bottled beverage, laundry, and tips
- Sightseeing tours and meals in Kathmandu
- Any other services and expenses that are not specifically mentioned in the programme
- Expenses due to flight delay, sickness other contingencies
We don’t sell tours to sell. We sell to organize memorable holidays. We want to show you and your clients many things that would remain a memorable event in life. We want to show you and your clients all these things that we have. We organize wonderful holidays. Be it adventure, climbing, heritage, culture, wildlife or simple tours and activities we give our heart. Know what our client says About Our Services.
USD 4830Per Person QUICK INQUERY
- Grade : Streneous
- Max Altitude : 5500 m.
- Best Time : Spring and Autumn
- Trip Days : 25 days
- Trek Duration : 18 days