Lower Dolpa Trek – 25 days
A unique insight into ‘Old Tibet’, Medieval, colorful Dolpa villages.
- A unique insight into 'Old Tibet', Medieval, colorful Dolpa villages.
- Trek through rugged mountain landscape and rich cultural legacy
- Visit the ancient village of Do-Tarap
- Spend an exclusive moment at a very esquisite Shey Phokshindu lake
- You will see Tibetan nomads, cave gompas with exquisite murals, fortresses, palaces and cave hermitages
- Visit Tibetan Buddhist monasteries along the incredible sculpted valleys and wild rock formations
- Enjoy classic scenery of the high Tibetan platean plateau
Since the journey Snellgrove took in 1956 and described in his book ‘Himalayan Pilgrimage.’ The region north of the Dhaulagiri range was a forgotten land, isolated from the rest of the country. Dolpo is a hidden valley kept isolated by the huge Himalayan range in the south and, in the north, there is a mountain range of 5000 to 6000 meters high. It has many ridges, passes and peaks that expends to the Tibetan plateau. A movie titled "caravan" has shown part of the beauty of Dolpo. You get to see spectacular mountain-view, unique and unspoiled Bhotia people in their nomadic condition. Broadly speaking Kanjiroba Himal range defines its western border and in the south is Barbung Khola (river). The enigmatic Shey-gompa lies in inner Dolpo behind the high pass that divides Tarap valley. Dolpo is among the very few places where Bon-po, a pre-Buddhist, religion is in practice.
The tough trek to these hidden valleys from a remote mountain airstrip in Jumla is like being transported in a time machine. Part of the grandeur of this region shown in the movie ‘Caravan’ can only be believed once you are there.
Fly to Nepaljung and transfer to a hotel in Nepalgunj for an overnight. The next day morning fly to Jumla. You will walk from Jumla to Dunai using an old migration route to the east or follow the higher route from Hurikot to Kagmara pass ((5115m) and then travel north Ringmo. If the weather is nice you may traverse via Kagmara la to Phoksindhu-lake. There is a beautiful view from the pass. Phoksindhu lake (3658m) is part of Shey Phoksundo National Park; it was established in 1984. It is a beautiful alpine lake perched in the corner of the surrounding mountain range. Cross two high pass Baga la (5090m) and Numa la (5190m) to reach Tarap valley on the eastern side. Do Tarap have two major gompas? Bon po and Buddhist - and chorten (Buddhist stupa). It is a fairly large village with cultivated land. Most of the inhabitants are Magar, one of the major ethnic groups of Nepal, but their dialect and culture are Tibetan. Walk down to Tarakot through a narrow valley made by Tarap-Khola (river) and continues the journey to Dunai and Juphal. Fly from Juphal to Nepaljung and to Kathmandu.
An alternative route from Beni to Dolpa is also available. Check with us.
This trek involves several days in a high elevation above 4000 to 5000 meter. So, it is important to bring appropriate clothing and shoes. All participants must be physically fit. This trek is physically demanding though mountaineering skill is not necessary. It is important to remember not to endanger the lives of other trek members, Sherpas, and porters by climbing a peak or continuing the trek in unsafe conditions. The schedule stops as shown above are a guideline only. It may change due to logistic reason and other condition like weather, etc. that are beyond our control. Flight to remote mountain airstrip is subject to weather and technical condition. All flights are in the early morning. In winter the thick fog in Kathmandu airport in the morning may delay subsequent flights to and from other destinations. It is important to allow 2 night before and 3 night after the trek in Kathmandu to allow possible flight delay in the mountain. There is no refund for unused service whatsoever be the reason after the trip has begun.
COST-Private Trip: US$ 4310 per person
- All meals and full camping arrangement trek
- Cooking and eating utensils, all camping equipments
- Service of trek guide, cook, kitchen and sherpa assistants.
- Porters to carry personal baggage (each 15 kg.), food and camping equipment
- Warm clothing, shoes, blankets and dark goggles for high altitude porters as required.
- Accident insurance for staffs and porters.
- Domestic Airfare according to programme
- Nationalpark/conservation entry permit as per programme
- Arrival and departure transfers.
- Local / Public transport as shown in the programme
- Hotel accommodation on BB in Kathmandu using 3 star category
- Personal clothing and sleeping bag (US$ 50 per person)
- Personal accident and health insurance
- Emergency evacuation and medical-cost
- Alcoholic and bottled beverage, laundry, and tips.
- Sightseeing tours and meals in Kathmandu
- Any other services and expenses that are not specifically mentioned in the programme.
- Expenses due to flight delay, sickness other contingencies
Departure: Anytime as per your choice of date.
US$ 4310Per Person QUICK INQUERY
- Grade : Streneous
- Max Altitude : 5190 m.
- Best Time : Feb, March, April, May, Oct, Nov
- Trip Days : 25 days
- Trek Duration : 19 days