Snow leopard trek in Hemis National Park – 15 days
This epic adventure takes you to Hemis National Park in Ladakh, India's best-protected area for Snow Leopards and a good place to sight this magnificent cat. Being whitish-grey in color (tinged with yellow) and patterned with dark grey rosettes and spots, the Snow Leopard exhibits superb camouflage for its mountain environment of bare rocks and snow. It is on account of its reclusive nature that it is often referred to as the Grey Ghost of the Himalayas.
Since Snow Leopards are generally found at elevations between 3000-4500m, the trek takes you through stunning Himalayan alpine and sub-alpine zones where vegetation is sparse and temperatures are extreme. Snow Leopards are most active at dawn and dusk and show a strong preference for cliffy habitat with moderately to very broken terrain, rocky outcrops and ravines. They are opportunistic predators and are known to take prey up to three times their own weight, though a large part of their diet comprises of small prey like marmots, pika, hare, birds and domestic livestock.
- US$ 3690 per person
- Minimum 2 person required to run the trip.
Best time: Mid November & December
- All hotel accommodation on a twin share basis with breakfast.
- All accommodation for the trek (tents).
- Return airport transfers in Leh.
- Sightseeing transport in Leh.
- Transport to/from trek area.
- The services of your Local Guide, full time throughout the trek.
- Porter age on trek.
- Breakfasts in hotels, all food on trek.
- Trek permits, Wildlife fee, camping fee and home stay charges
- Flight cost from DELHI – LEH – DELHI US$ 700 (subject to change)
Cost does not include:
- International flights home – India.
- Tourist Visa fee (this must be obtained prior to travelling).
- Local trek staff gratuities.
- International airport departure taxes.
- Entrance to sights and monuments not stated in the itinerary