Sukhlaphata National Park
Where : Kathmandu, Sukhlaphata National Park
Trip duration: 3 nights 4 days package
Safari standard: Economy
Wildlife: One-horned rhinos, elephants, tiger, black beer, deer, antelopes, wild boar, wild chickens, peacock, Wild Buffalo, several species of endangered birds including Bengal florican, reptiles, hog deer, wild boar, spotted deer, gharial, gaur, pangolin, gangetic dolphin, monitor lizard , phython, chital, barking deer, sloth bear, langur, rhesus monkeys, etc.
Viewing by: Game viewer, canoe, 4x4 vehicle
Getting around: 4x4 transfer vehicles
Trip Mode: Flight ( 1 hr 10 min) OR Drive ( 18 hrs)
Arrive/Depart: Fly in/out Kathmandu/ The nearest airport to Sukhlapahata is Mahendranagar (15kms drive)
Shuklaphata Wildlife Reserve was a hunting ground for the Roylas during 1960’s .It is therefore known was Royal Suklaphanta Wildlife Reserve and it is located in Far Western Nepal near the border of India, very close to Corbett National Park. The reserve is one of the richest wildlife reserves in Asia due to its pristine sub-tropical environment. The open grasslands and numerous waterholes of the park extend into a vast expanse plain grassland and SaL forest, while marsh vegetation is found along rivers and lakes. Until recently it is a royal hunting reserve. The park is relatively remote and unexplored.
This park was created by resettling the people to another area. Natural vegetation in this forest is now providing sanctuary for wild life. In its 305 sq. km area it has Royal Bengal Tiger, deer, 478 varieties of birds, one of the rare and largest known Asian elephant, spotted deer, barking deer, one horned rhinoceros, endangered species of birds, swamp deer, spotted deer, barking deer, black buck, gharial crocodile, marsh mugger crocodile and Gangatic dolphin.and many other animals to which you may encounter while on your stay.
A stop at the Rani Tal would be an exciting experience. This small lake attracts birds and animals alike. Herons, ducks, storks, kingfishers and egrets vie for food and swamp deer wallow at the edges.
How to get there?
There are direct bus and schedule flight to Mahendranagar.
It is 700 kms distance apart from Kathmandu and will take around 16-17 hours by road. Flight to Mahendranagar airport 1 hr 10 mins and a short drive to Sukhalaphata National Park.
- US$ 1165 per person
- Airport transfers
- Hotel accommodation in Kathmandu 2 star
- Full day sightseeing in Kathmandu with English speaking tour guide
- Sightseeing entrance fees
- Full board –breakfast, lunch and dinner in the camp at Royal Bardia National Park with Jungle
- All taxes
- Personal clothing, sleeping bag etc.
- Personal accident and health insurance
- Emergency evacuation and medical-box.
- Alcoholic and bottled beverage, laundry, and tips
- Short & Long Sleeve Shirts - Long sleeved is for protection from the sun and insects in the evenings.
- Shorts & Trousers - again, long trousers can protect from the sun & insects
- Swim wear for on the river
- Shoes - Comfortable trainers/shoes and a pair of sandals. You will need some type of hiking or safari boot if you plan on any walking safaris.
- Binoculars Camera
- Personal first-aid kit and wash kit
- Guidebooks, maps, etc
- Water bottle
- Insect Repellent
- Sunscreen and lip protector
- Sunglasses (with retaining device) and/or a cap
- Personal medication
- Reading book
- Oct/March (average temp. 25 degrees)
- April to June - Hot above 40 degrees
- July to Sept: Rainy