Tiji Festival Mustang Trek
Highlight:A unique insight into 'Old Tibet', Medieval, colorful Mustang villages. You will see Tibetan nomads, cave gompas with exquisite murals, fortresses, palaces & cave hermitages, Tibetan Buddhist monasteries, incredibly sculpted valleys, wild rock formations, classic scenery of the high Tibetan plateau along the Kali Gandaki gorge & fossil collecting in this less-trekked route.
Fly to Jomsom. You follow the trail above Kali Gandaki -river towards north to the villages of Chhusang and Chaile. This section has an easy trail. After Chaile makes steep ascend to a small settlement at Samar. Continue to walk the gradual up and down the trail to Syangboche (3800m). The next day descend to Ghilling (3510m). The trail from Ghilling gradually ascends up to a pass Nyi La (3960m) and descends to Tsarang. The trail continues to Lo Manthang. There are three major groups of villages with historic gompas and caves around Mustang. The fresco painting of thousand Buddhas, hanging thankas (painting), antique ceiling and, library and other sacred objects are the landmark of its rich history. The cave of Rongbyung Chorten hidden deep in the valley has a carving of many deities on the stonewall.
About Tiji Festival - the festival of a lifetime
This festival commemorates the victory of Lord Buddha's incarnation -Dorjee Sonnu- over a demon called Man Tam Ru a vicious creature which ate human flesh and caused storms and droughts. The Tiji festival usually takes place in May and June and lasts for 3 days. Dances are performed by the lamas of Lo Manthang Choedhe monastery during the celebration. About 65 monks from Lo Manthang, Namgyal and Chhoser live in the monastery. The first day marks the harassment of Man Tam Ru in a dance called Tsa Chham, on the second day a dance called Nga Chham takes place commemorating the birth of Dorjee Sonnu as the demons son. The attempt to return the demon to lord Buddhas realm takes place on the third and final day. The lamas chant prayers while performing almost 50 separate religious dances to chase demons from Lo Manthang. They are followed by masked demons who flail wooden swords at the frightened spectators. On the final day, in a nearby field, courtiers fire ancient muskets as a high lama shoots an arrow at a red demon effigy laid on a ragged tiger skin. He tosses five more demons into the sand to signify the exorcising of the city. Fireworks are also let off to celebrate the occasion.
Note: If you do not like walking then you can take an overland trip to Lo-manthang for the festival Mustang Overland Tour – 11 DAYS
Private Trip Cost:
Cost: US$ 1925 per person
- All meals and standard accommodation in lodge during the trek
- Service of trek guide and Sharpe assistant for bigger group above 6 person
- Porters to carry personal baggage (each 15 kg.)
- Accident insurance for staffs and porters
- Flight Jomsom/Pokhara/Jomsom, Pokhara to Kathmandu
- Greenline Deluxe bus from Kathmandu to Pokhara
- Mustang special trek permit and ACAP permit and TIMS
- Arrival and departure transfers.
- Hotel accommodation in Kathmandu and Pokhara using best-located hotel on BB as per program
- Free use of trekking equipments like a sleeping bag,, duffle bag
- All airport transfers
Cost does not include:
- Personal clothing and sleeping bag
- Personal accident and health insurance
- Emergency evacuation and medical expense
- Alcoholic and bottled beverage, mineral water, laundry, and tips
- Any other services and expenses that are not specifically mentioned
- Expenses due to a flight delay, sickness other contingencies
1925Per Person QUICK INQUERY
- Grade : Moderate
- Max Altitude : 3840
- Best Time : Spring (March-May) Autumn (Oct-Nov)
- Mode of Trip : Lodge
- Trip Days : 17